Spring COPE and Climbing Training
Training Dates Have Been Set
Who Can Participate?
Cub Scout age youth can climb on an artificial structure at a unit,
district or council event supervised by a qualified adult volunteer or
camp staff member.
Boy Scouting and Venturing age youth can also use high ropes courses
and climb on natural rock supervised by a qualified adult volunteer or
camp staff member.
Proper equipment and safety gear must be used for each activity. Adult
leaders can supervise these activities after recieving special training.
Make your troop more appealing to new members and older scouts by
having climbing oriented campouts. Trained volunteers can open and run
Climbing Towers courses at unit and district events.
Where can I climb?
Weekend Camp: Stearns, Phillippo, and Kiwanis have climbing structures
available. They can be reserved by volunteers with appropriate
Summer Camp: BSA Summer Camps have available equipment and trained staff.
Adult COPE & Climbing Certifications Available
- Foundations Level 1: Learn the basics of operating a climbing tower.
- Foundations Level 2 (Prequisite - Foundations Level 1): Required to operate a climbing tower.
- COPE (Prequisite - Foundations Level 2): Required to operate a high ropes course.
- Natural Rock (Prequisite - Foundations Level 2): Required to run outdoor rock climbing trips.
Volunteer Courses are being offered April 8 & 9 (Foundations I & II) at Stearns Scout Camp.
Volunteer Climbing Tower, Foundations I & II Training
Camp Staff Trainings will be offered at Tomahawk
COPE Climbing Training for Camp Staff
- June 1-3 Foundations I
- June 3-5 Foundations II
- June 5-7 COPE
- June 9-11 Natural Rock (Taylors Falls)
Adult leaders interested in getting trained can find training opportunities on our "Find a Training Course" tool.
Find a Training Course Tool